- 40th US President
- Former Hollywood actor
- Elected for a 2nd term in 1984
- Saw the USSR as the 'evil empire' and wouldn't negotiate with them for the first years of his Presidency
- Was much more hardline than the detente Presidents
- Increased military spending dramatically as part of the renewed arms race with the USSR
- The USSR had a 3:2 advantage in sheer numbers
- New issue is how to deliver them
- Cruise missiles are placed in Europe in NATO
- 'Smart Weapons' - planes, weapons and even tanks begin to be controlled by computer and are 'guided'
After a period without much activity on the war side of life, Ronald Reagan came to power and reignited the arms race that had previously gripped the nation. Using ideas such as the Star Wars system he had effectively backed the Soviets into a corner and eventually led to their dissolution.