Show Trials and the Great Purges
- Stalin feared of being overthrown or having a counter revolution
- NKVD - secret police to get rid of threats
- Old heroes of the revolution or with popular support with treason
- 1 in 5 officers of the army executed
- Often put on "show trials" forced to admit they had done it (under duress)
Stalin was afraid that he would be overthrown by the people or that a counter revolution would happen. Because of this, he created a "secret police" called the NKVD that could get rid of these threats. Everybody was at stake to be charged with treason. Under duress, they often put on show trials to force people to say that they were guilty.