The Berlin Wall, 1961
- People have been fleeing to the west through Berlin for many years "Brain Drain" (3 mil.)
- Krushchev wants Kennedy to pull out of Berlin and make it a free city
- Kennedy increases US strength
- Krushchev responds by building a wall around West Berlin
- Both leaders were accused of being soft in Berlin and fixed this by ordering more tests of nuclear weapons
- "Ich bin ein Berliner" - Speech made by JFK in 1963, when stating his defense of Berlin
Due to the brain drain of Nazi scientists the Soviets had decided that they had to prevent any more defections and loss of scientists. Their solution was to build a large wall separating Berli. Though it was effective in stopping fleeing scientists it also separated families from each other and had cut the city in half.